Get this tested, easy-to-follow recipe for thin and crispy gluten free coconut cookies. Made with crushed, toasted coconut, these drop cookies are so easy!
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (90 g) unsweetened coconut flakes (chips)
- 1 1/4 cups (175 g) all purpose gluten free flour (I used Better Batter)
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (109 g) packed light brown sugar
- 10 tablespoons (140 g) virgin coconut oil, melted and cooled (or use 1:1 unsalted butter, at room temperature)
- 1 egg (50 g, weighed out of shell) at room temperature, beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 300°F. Line rimmed baking sheets with unbleached parchment paper and set them aside.
- On one baking sheet, place the coconut flakes in a single layer and place in the center of the preheated oven. Bake for 5 minutes, or until beginning to brown on the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool until no longer hot to the touch. Crush the toasted coconut chips into smaller pieces in your hands. Raise the oven temperature to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, place the flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and granulated sugar, and whisk to combine well. Add the brown sugar, and whisk again to combine, working out any lumps. Remove about 10 grams of the crushed toasted coconut chips and set them aside. Add the remaining coconut chips to the large bowl, and mix to combine. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the coconut oil, egg and vanilla, mixing to combine after each addition. The cookie dough will be very soft and sticky. If it is too sticky to handle, cover it and place it in the refrigerator to chill for about 30 minutes or until easier to handle.
- Scoop out cookie dough in pieces that are about 2 teaspoonsful each, and drop on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart from one another. With wet hands, roll each into a ball, press into a disk about 1/2-inch thick and sprinkle lightly in the center with the remaining crushed toasted coconut chips.
- Place the baking sheets, one at a time, in the center of the 350°F oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly golden brown in the center and slightly darker brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool until set on the baking sheet. They will firm up within about 5 minutes.