This Hearty Vegetarian Bolognese tastes like it has been simmering on the stove all day but comes together easily in under 20 minutes. This nutrient-packed tomato sauce is meaty, saucy, kinda chunky and will be sure to please the whole family!
- 500 grams/16 oz spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil OR ¼ cup vegetable stock
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- ½ - 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 eggplant, chopped into ½ inch/1½ cm cubes*
- 4 cups plain tomato sauce/pureed tomatoes
- ¼ cup tomato puree
- 1 heaping cup frozen spinach OR 6 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- Reserved Pasta water (optional - if you prefer a thinner sauce)
- Boil water in a large pot and cook the spaghetti according to the directions on the package. Cook the pasta while making the sauce.
- On medium-high heat, heat up a large pan with either 1 tbsp oil or ¼ cup vegetable broth.
- Add chopped garlic and onions to the hot oil with the spices (oregano, basil and cayenne) and stir it around until the onions and garlic begin to brown (about 2 minutes).
- Add chopped eggplant with a pinch of sea salt (helps to bring out the liquid in the eggplant) to the hot pan. Stir it around until the eggplant begins to reduce and soften (about 4 minutes).
- Get full recipe==>>cearaskitchen.com